Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Power of Flowers

A simple arrangement of nasturtiums

The Power of Flowers.... I was going to write about my week weeding, replanting, Late Blight, and canning but I came across a wonderful article that I'd like to share. I decided that all that weeding etc. can wait. But the Power of Flowers needed to be discussed. So that's the focus of this week - flowers.

Years ago when I was a new and young mom and living in a not so nice city in Massachusetts I began a small vegetable garden. But I didn't include any flowers. I felt that the flowers would take up precious vegetable space. Much has changed since that small garden. And thankfully now there are flowers throughout all my gardens.

The article that I came across today was about a tiny little urban garden oasis in NYC. Here's the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/06/garden/06garden.html
A garden oasis in NYC- click on the picture to enlarge

This article solidified my thoughts that flowers are indeed powerful and necessary in any garden. If flowers must have a purpose then let's look at one important purpose being that flowers are necessary for bees and bees are necessary for our gardens. If for no other reason than providing necessary habitat and nectar for bees; flowers are a down right necessity in each and every garden. Without bees we wouldn't have the food options that we do. Just think about when you're working in your garden and all the bees buzzing around. Where are they buzzing to? The flowers, whether they are in squash flowers or sunflowers. Bees love and need flowers. And when bees buzz from flower to flower and from plant to plant they are working hard pollinating your plants. Bees are a vital link in our food chain and since bees need flowers, so do we. Bees are another perfect reason why using chemicals in our gardens is just not a good idea. Ultimately what we do to the bees we do to ourselves. So we were right way back when, when the motto of the day was, "Flower Power!" Flowers and bees play a crucial role in what we call the ecology of our gardens and food supply. Ecology is a very important branch of science that deals with interrelationships of organisms and their environments. Looks like we've just been talking about the ecology of our gardens - flowers, bees, people... Because of this not only do I plant lots of flowers but I also let some vegetable plants purposefully go to flower. Radish flowers are a great vegetable to let flower; their flowers are just wonderful!

Pink yarrow and mallow

But flowers are much more than bee havens. They provide much needed beauty for us. Whether we plant a few marigolds as companion plants to repel yucky bugs, flowering herbs for drying, or a full fledged perennial flower garden, flowers serve a very important role in our gardens by enriching our lives. They are beautiful and often have heavenly scents. Humans are sensory organisms. We live by using our senses. We taste, smell, look, touch, and hear; and flowers provide stimulation for all these senses.

Purple coneflower; Echinacea purpurea

My flowers are doing fantastic this year with all the rain water they've been getting. The Purple coneflowers (Echinacea purpurea) are the most brilliant that I've ever seen; just gorgeous! As I was picking some to put into a vase for our table I was thoroughly enjoying watching busy bumble bees and hovering humming birds. I was also thinking about how nice it is to have flowers to cut for placing around the house. For the past few years my gardens have given me enough flowers to have vases full but to be honest I use to be reluctant to cut them. Partly due to the fact that I didn't want to take them from the garden and also in part because it was hard to get that "perfect" arrangement. This year I've taken a different approach to cutting flowers. No more "perfect" arrangements. Instead when cutting flowers I'm keeping it very simple. My goal is to cut from one type of flower and put those into a vase or jar. That simplicity not only makes a lovely addition to a room it's very freeing and allows me to enjoy the act of cutting flowers for bringing indoors. We need and deserve beauty in our gardens and in our homes and flowers are just the ticket for both.
Another simple arrangement; Black Eyed Susans and Purple Coneflowers

I've included a few photos of jars of simply arranged flowers that I think does the trick of bringing flowers indoors rather nicely. Don't bother about trying to be fancy or creative with your flower arrangements. Just choose one type of flower to fill a jar with and go with that. Include full flowers, buds, and leaves. This will allow you to get a feel for the flower in water which is very different than flowers in your garden. Then after time you may notice another flower near by that you think would add another dimension or color and give them a try together. When cutting flowers it is best to cut mid to late morning (but really any time will do!) and to bring your water jars out to the garden with you. The faster the flowers are in water the better they will last. Well, when it comes to simply cut flowers and arrangements follow the thoughts of the Shakers. They were right about something...simplicity is best. (But we all know they were wrong about something else- even flowers have a vivacious sex life!)

Enjoy the NY Times article and be sure to include flowers in your garden and then take the time to smell them and of course cut some to bring inside for your kitchen table or night stand.

A sunflower (with some Anise hyssop for smell)

No comments:

Post a Comment