Monday, June 28, 2010

Mulch and Cucumber Beetles

Daily update on garden work.


Cucumber beetles on a squash flower

Rain the past 2 days so I mulched, mulched, and mulched some more today when the ground is nice and wet. Weed fabric and/or newspaper in rows with old hay on top. Compost and straw (straw is an annual so seeds don't make weeds that take hold of garden) around plants and rows of plants. This comes after a good day of cleaning the gardening section of the garage. Now nice and neat and organized. So much better to find things that are needed.

Finally got around to putting tomato stakes in the ground next to each tomato and to secure the tomato plants to their stakes I cut up old flannel shorts to make ties for tomatoes. I didn't use string because it can cut the tomato stem. I like to use something thicker and softer, flannel cloth, so it's more gentle on the plant. I also pruned all the "third" tomato stems that I found at the "V's" in each plant. That extra stem is called a "sucker". It sucks energy from the tomato plant. They've got to go. At least weekly check for those and cull them out.
See the "3rd" tomato stem coming up between the "V"? That's what I gently bend back and forth a bit until it snaps off. Now look at the exact same spot with that "3rd" tomato stem removed:

Pulled out old radishes, pac choy, and parsnips that went to seed. Now more room to plant more cukes and carrots. Something is eating the tops of my carrots. Looks to maybe be a squirrel?

I'm hoping the later planting of cukes will aid in them surviving the dreaded cucumber beetle attack. I have some NEEM that I'm going to try because it's so infested. Even though the past few nights, as soon as I saw my first one, I've been going out twice a day and squishing them! YUCK! I can't believe that I can do that now. I didn't use to be able to do that. But here's what I'm wondering...if these bloody pests harbor the dreaded bacteria in their intestines as the literature says they do. Then when I squish one do I then become a vector transferring that squished out bacteria from bug, to hands, to plant??? I know, gross subject but one I've got to get a handle on. Bugs, good and bad, are a reality in gardening. That's just the way it is. Cucumber beetles are the bane of my gardening existence. I'll upload a pic and post more details soon. But these awful pests need to removed as soon as seen. Better yet, put row covering over where you plant them so the juicy, young cotyledons (Two first "leaves" that appear on a plant. Not really leaves but are the nutrients for beginning plants) are protected and they don't devour your plants and infect them with their awful bacteria that causes wilt...aka death. Something interesting that I noted is that there are beetles crawling around the base of the plants too; right on top of and in the soil. I did read that part of the cucumber beetle's life cycle is in the soil. Here's one interesting site I found on the buggers: http://www.gardenguides.com/790-cucumber-beetle-information.html It makes sense to understand their life cycle in order to get rid of the tiny beasts. And they are tiny and really good fliers!

Got hot and humid so I came in to do other chores like make some strawberry jam. Then another major cilantro harvest for cilantro pesto. The cilantro that I allowed to grow is too tall and shading the peppers and shallots. So time to yank.
Weed more, compost more, and mulch more esp the corn asap. Then more compost into compost tea barrel. Heck, who needs a gym when you have a garden to work in!

Happy gardening all!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment