Sunday, August 1, 2010

Community and School Gardens

Our Classroom Garden

This year I helped begin our town's community garden. It's looking beautiful and I thought I'd share a few photos. The photo above shows my 4th grade classroom's small garden.

Newly Constructed Raised Beds of Community Garden

Early Season Community Garden Beds

Later in the Season

My Nieces Tending a Soup Kitchen Bed in the Community Garden

Our 2nd big harvest for the soup kitchen. The first harvest I didn't get a photo of which was too bad because there were lots of greens! When I got to the garden spot the other day the greens that were left were "mowed down" presumably by a wood chuck so I grabbed what was left. And the carrots look to have had a deer nibbling on their green tops!
1 batch Yukon Gold Potatoes, Carrot thinnings, and Beets

Hope you enjoy the photos.

If you'd like more information on community or school gardens here are two good links to start with.
community gardening: http://communitygarden.org/ and
school gardening: http://www.kidsgardening.com/

Happy Gardening!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment