Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Why I Love our Local Cooperative Seed Company, FEDCO

One Aisle in the Seed Section of FEDCO Seeds in Waterville Maine

I finally went to FEDCO to get the seed I ordered online a while ago. I should have gotten it a month ago but never seemed able to make it there early enough. I could have paid the shipping but I LOVE going to FEDCO. It's just the best little seed company ever. I love everything about it. First of all it's a seed cooperative. Just look at this motto on their "about us" page - "The cooperative ethic recognizes that we are all in this together. What is good for our managers should be good for our workers and good for our customers and vice versa." How can you go wrong with thinking like that? There is no one owner. Actually the consumers and worker members are the owners. I believe FEDCO began around 1978.

FEDCO specializes in cold hearty seed that will grow healthy plants in our cold climate. Their selection never fails me. I have luck with all their seed year after gardening year. While I've used seed from other organic companies I keep coming back to FEDCO. The seed, prices, and customer service can't be beat. I know several folks who work at FEDCO and I'm sure that's part of what I like about visiting. I love my annual trek to visit them. Look at this note on my seed order!
LOVE it!

If you've never had the pleasure of reading through one of their catalogs (they have catalogs for seed, trees, tubers, bulbs, and organic supplies) during a cold wintery snowstorm you just must order their catalogs and give them a try. You'll be in for a treat. The humor throughout the catalogs is sure to cause you a few chuckles.

You can visit their website by going to:
http://fedcoseeds.com/about_fedco.htm or just go to their seed page here: http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds.htm

Time to start some of the seeds I just brought home. I'm calling it close!
Happy planting!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment