Monday, May 30, 2011

Lilies of the Valley and Mulching

Lilies of the Valley under the maple tree

What would the beginning of the summer be without the fragrance and beauty of Lilies of the Valley? My absolute favorite early summer flower.

Once I had my luscious smell of these flowers I was ready to hit the garden. I didn't plan to mulch the beds today but we had a fantastic rain storm last night. Complete with wake you up thunder and lightning. To me, being directly under thunder and lightning is kind of like riding a roller coaster. Deep inside scary but thrilling at the same time. As I was closing windows I realized that my day of transplanting and fence construction might be replaced with mulching. I was right.
Mulching.....
Newly mulched spinach row
I spent the morning mulching the seedling beds with straw. And since water moves from moist to dry I hooked up the hoses to water the newly mulched beds. Wouldn't want the moist beds to suffer from the straw wicking that lovely moisture that was delivered by last night's rain away from the seedlings. I also used the hose out opportunity to move a water barrel over into the garden and fill it with compost and water. It's a rain barrel but I fill it with water from a hose when it's empty. Having that barrel available in the garden just makes watering so much easier. And here we are back to the topic of water again.

I have to admit that I use to just put the sprinkler on in the middle of the garden and once a week let it run full blast for an hour or so. Wow! I can't even imagine doing that now unless we suffered from an extensive dry spell that hand watering became just to intense to manage. Water. We really do find ourselves dealing with the realities of water in all our daily doings. Feel free to search my blog for my many posts that address the need to use water with the utmost respect.

Now back out to the garden to fill in empty spots with some pepper seedlings.
Hope you're enjoying your day!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment