Sunday, July 17, 2011

Squashes

A Beautiful Female Zucchini Flower. See the fruit beginning to form at the base of the flower? It will be my first zucchini of the year.
This year I want to try frying zucchini flowers. Here's a blog with a recipe for this. Just scroll down to the fried squash blossom post. http://www.biasrichandsweetkitchen.com/search/label/Vegetables I also put this link over there on the right.

What a year for squashes! Most of them are doing great! My pumpkins, yellow squash, and zucchini are doing great. But it hasn't been without a lot of work in the form of diligent cucumber beetle squishing. Here's what this destructive pest looks like:
I've struggled with cucumber beetles for years. But this year they are just brutal. I have found that evening is the best time to monitor (aka squish the bugs) the plants for these destructive pests. Not only do they nibble on the plants but they nibble on the roots. That is not good as they can chew the roots right off and kill the plants. AND when they nibble on the plants they transmit a virus called, bacterial wilt,that kills the plants. The cucumber beetle is a "vector" of this virus. A "vector" is a carrier. So the beetle carries this virus and when it chews the plant it transmits the virus to the plant. As you can see, keeping on top of this is essential. I don't normally spray but I just couldn't keep up with this. I'd spend an hour killing these bugs and have clear plants and the next night I'd go back out and check and see that leaves with dozens of bugs on them. And they were doing a number on my plants. So I bought some NEEM which is an organic spray and used it. (Here's a link to info on how NEEM oil works: http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-insecticide.html) It seemed to work for a little while. But the bugs are back but according to the information I just read that's OK. It doesn't mean it's not working. See the link for full information on how this oil works. Anytime I have resorted to using an organic spray, especially when plants are in flower, I worry about the bees. I don't want to harm bees. And my squashes are in flower so I didn't spray the plants in flower even though it says this oil only harms bitting/chewing insects so it supposedly doesn't harm beneficial insects such as bees.

Because of something eating cucumbers as soon as they come up I've replanted cucumbers 3 times already. I'm wondering if it's cutworm. I'm not sure. This last time I've put them under row cover. We'll see if that makes a difference although if it's cutworm my guess is it won't. I did buy some pickling cukes from the local farmers market (Barrels) and made some counter top pickles.
I have to confess that this is a photo from last year but since it looks the same, hey why not use an old photo! To make these all you do is put some dill, garlic, 1 hot pepper and small cukes in a quart jar. 1/2 fill with white vinegar and fill the other 1/2 with water. Add about 1 tsp of kosher salt and let it sit on your counter with lid ajar for 3-7 days and then enjoy!

As for my cantaloupes and watermelon, they are under row covers too. But I did that to provide warmth. First I put black plastic down and got the soil nice and warm. Then I transplanted seedlings that I started inside in compost pots into the warmed soil. These plants don't like their roots disturbed so these are good pots to use as you plant the pot and all. They are a wonderful alternative to peat pots. More on why we shouldn't use peat in a future post. Looks like the row cover provides an insect barrier too. Now it's time to take the row covers off though because the plants are in flower and they need to be pollinated. Tough for bees to pollinate if there's a barrier still up. Here's a pic of my row covered plants. See some pumpkins in the background.

Here's a squash plant that came up in my compost pile. We'll see what it is although I suspect a pumpkin.

Well, time to get outside! Hope you are enjoying your gardens and your squashes!
Mary
Gardens make the world fresh and clean - AHS

PS - I just reread this post and wow; it's a bit all over the place. I apologize. I just flew into Jersey City for a week long science/math teachers conference and am a bit tired. It's beautiful outside but hot so I came in to nap and can't fall asleep so thought I'd post. Maybe I should have napped instead! So I apologize for this wild post! Here's a photo of what I see from our hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment