Saturday, July 30, 2011

When to Plant to Outsmart Pests

A great planter that I saw at the Coastal Maine Botanical Garden in Boothbay, Maine in the children's garden area. What a LOVELY place to visit.

This great link below is a bit late for this year but a must to try next year!! It has a few great tips on when to plant crops such as potatoes, corn, and brassicas to outsmart the pests that harm them most. I was about two weeks late planting my potatoes this year and I nearly didn't plant them. I usually plant when the dandelions bloom and I usually have to hand pick and squish potato beetles which is one of the grossest things to have to do. Talk about how to ruin a relaxed evening in the garden. Anway, this year I haven't (knock on wood) seen one! And others are dealing with them like crazy. Coincidence? I don't know. But when I found this article I began to wonder. Next year I will plant late again and I will also start my corn indoors! I hate those darn cornworms.

http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/time-your-plantings-avoid-pests?page=0,1&cm_mmc=OGNews-_-646366-_-07272011-_-time_your_planting_to_avoid_pests

I just harvested all my garlic and picked my first tomatoes...yum! Cukes are still struggling and I found my first hornworm on a tomato plant. I know they are destructive but I hate killing them because they are the coolest looking bugs. I just love to look at them.

It's a beautiful evening. Cool breeze, temp in the high 70's (F) and the sun is setting. I just came in from the garden and had a nice swim. I'm admitting that I just haven't written in this blog as much as I'd like to. But the garden is big this year and it's keeping me really busy. And I'm afraid it isn't going to get better because now the harvests really begin and with that comes cooking with this delicious food as well as canning. So far I was able to put up some strawberry jam and raspberry jam. I've frozen raspberries and strawberries as well. But once tomatoes come that's when things really speed up.

Hope your garden is going well and you are able to enjoy your time in it. There really is nothing like it.
Mary
And....Gardens make the world fresh and clean...AHS

No comments:

Post a Comment