Sunday, April 12, 2009

Peas are in!

Pac Choy and lettuce are up. You can see the legginess that I was talking about in my previous post. But it's still nice to see the new green. I like pac choy to stir fry but I also plant some as trap plants around my broccoli and radishes. Those awful flea beetles that just decimate those early crops love pac choy and will prefer them. So plant some near broccoli and radish so the little buggies will eat the pac choy instead. You can also use row covers over those plants you want to protect from the flea beetles.

Today I planted Blizzard Snow Peas (you eat the pod), and Coral Shell Peas(you shell these peas). I get all my seeds from the best seed company in the world...FEDCO. If you haven't heard of them you must visit their website...http://www.fedcoseeds.com/ FEDCO is a seed co-op here in central Maine. Seeds come in no frills envelops and many if not most are organic. FEDCO has been around since the year I graduated college, 1978. And FEDCO specializes in seed well suited for our chilly northeast climate. FEDCO also sells bulbs, trees, plants, gardening supplies etc.

I read that you should plant peas when the forthysia blooms but I've always planted as soon as the ground can be worked, and our ground can be worked. I also just read on MOFGA (Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association- http://www.mofga.org) website that Patriots Day is a traditional pea planing day here in Maine. The compost pile is thawed on the top and sides so I could access enough to put in the area the pea seeds went in. Here's what's happening outside the day I planted pea seeds.
Crocuses flowering...............


French Sorrel coming up! Tulip pushing through the soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment