Sunday, July 20, 2014

First Thinning of Carrots


We wait for and enjoy the first carrots of the season. I postpone my thinning so that first thinning can be eaten. While I like to harvest carrots after a good frost (because I think they taste sweeter), these first carrots are so good. They are warm like the earth and mild, delicious.

One easy way to eat carrots is the classic carrot salad. I admit I like the simple, traditional grated carrots, raisins, and a dash of mayo with some allspice and sugar added for flavor. But I love David Lebovitz's recipes so here's his not so classic French carrot salad:
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/07/carottes-rapee/
If you are like my daughter you just park yourself in the carrot patch, pull and eat. That's how she likes her carrots. And no matter where she lives, she calls or texts me about this time each year to ask if the carrots are ready. I tell her they are and there is a bowl of water next to them waiting for her. She always tells me she'll skip the water.

So it's that time of year. Whether you like them cooked, raw, grated, mixed with other ingredients, or plain and soil coated right from the garden; I hope you enjoy your carrots!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment